- To provide technical and scientific expertise in Underwater C4 in supporting the successful delivery of UK Defence submarine communications programmes. The future SSN submarine is a critical part of the Navy’s future capability. Defence Nuclear Organisation (DNO) is sponsoring a range of Technology Demonstrator Programmes (TDPs) to mature solutions for future SSN capability.
- The UW C4 team has a requirement to deliver the Optical Communications (OCOMMS) TDP for the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), also delivering the UK commitment to the US/UK Optical Communications Project Arrangement.
- Additionally, the UW C4 team has projects to support the delivery of submarine communications project, providing advice and consultancy to Joint Force Command Capability (JFC Cap), JFC ISS (Information Systems and Services) and the Defence Nuclear Organisation (DNO).
- Mandatory An honours graduate in Physics, Mathematics, or an Engineering subject.
- Desirable Postgraduate qualifications in the above subjects
- Experience of and expertise in the technical design and engineering of defence related radio frequency communication systems is essential, coupled with ability to transfer those skills to bearers in other parts of the spectrum
- Essential is a demonstrable track record in the technical management of science and technology projects
- Essential is excellent interpersonal skills - able to work as part of a team and with civilian and military personnel at all levels
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Good report-writing, co-ordination and editorial skills
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts effectively to non-specialists, including project managers and international audiences
- Track record of delivering work to time, cost and quality
- Ability to work to high standards with minimal supervision
- Must be a UK national with SC clearance, DV is desirable